Curriculum Intent – School Values, Teaching Aims, Aspirations for Learners – Learn, Grow, Thrive
The proactive teaching and coaching of the skills and capacities fundamental to wellbeing, underpin every aspect of our curriculum; enabling our students to increasingly and ultimately fully access academic learning. In doing this we maximise their opportunities of achieving the academic qualifications necessary to open doors.
Our aim is for all our students to positively and successfully re-engage with education and in doing so access mainstream, or other appropriate, post 16 provision.
Our curriculum encompasses all that we say, teach and learn in the school; it defines the experience of our students and the environment in which they learn. It pervades all aspects of life at school including, importantly, the school’s ethos and environment and its partnerships with parents/carers and the wider community.
Provision of a rich, inclusive learning environment where every learner is empowered to progress and achieve at the highest level, is fundamental to the curriculum intent at Belong School Devon.
The curriculum is the whole learning experience offered by the school. How students learn is as important as what they learn. Students are learning all the time and it is our responsibility to optimise learning opportunities throughout the school day.
Within our established ethos, students will gain confidence in making choices and increase their knowledge and understanding of the world around them. All teachers and professionals engaged in teaching and learning activities will be partners in learning and continuously develop their skills and competencies for providing an appropriate range of strategies to inspire all our learners.
The core purpose of our curriculum intent is to enable all our students to become thriving, successful adults in a modern world.
We intend for all our students to become;
- Successful learners who enjoy education, make progress and achieve their full potential
- Confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- Responsible citizens who seek to make a positive contribution to society
We intend for our curriculum to;
- Enable each student to develop knowledge, understand concepts and acquire skills, and be able to choose and apply these in relevant situations
- Ensure high expectations for every student and appropriate levels of challenge and support
- Promote a positive attitude towards learning
- Be flexible enough to meet the needs of the diverse population within the school and carefully matched to the individual needs of each student
- Provide each student with the qualifications required to move onto their chosen post-16 provision
- Support spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Support physical development and responsibility for the student’s own health and establish healthy lifestyle habits throughout their lives.
- Equip each student with the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life
- Develop students’ independent learning skills, decision-making abilities and resilience in order to equip them for further/higher education, adult life and employment
- Prepare students for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life